Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Spanish Garlic Soup
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 558)
Preparation time: 75 minutes
Source: Vito De Carolis
Sopa de Ajo
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 7 Garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra to serve *
- 3 Shallots, finely sliced
- 2 Cloves
1/2 teaspoon Hot paprika
Avanti Savoia pimentón picante-suggested
- 5 Sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 Bay leaves *
- 12 Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 1/2 pints Chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Sherry vinegar *
- 3 Slices of sourdough bread
- Fine sea salt and black peppercorn; freshly ground to taste *
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Hard Manchego or Parmesan cheese; grated
- Place garlic cloves in a small pan and cover with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and cook over a medium heat until the oil begins to bubble gently.
- Lower the heat to the lowest setting and cook the garlic gently for 25 minutes, or until the cloves are soft.
- Remove from the heat and remove the garlic using a slotted spoon.
- Push the garlic through a sieve and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the garlic-infused olive oil and gently fry the shallots for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add reserved garlic purée, cloves, paprika, thyme, bay leaves and tomatoes.
- Fry gently for a further five minutes, then pour in chicken broth.
- Simmer on a low heat for 25 minutes to allow the flavors to infuse, then add Sherry vinegar and cook 5 minutes more.
- To serve, toast the sourdough so that it is slightly charred.
- Tear the toast up into bite-sized chunks and put in the bottom of heated soup bowls.
- Season the hot broth with sea salt and freshly ground black peppercorn, then pour it over the toasts in the bowls.
- Cut steak.
- Carefully break open an egg into each bowl of broth, and serve immediately with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and 2 tablespoons of grated hard Manchego or Parmesan cheese.
• The egg will cook in the hot broth, but if you are squeamish about runny eggs, poach the eggs in the soup for a few minutes before serving.
• The remaining garlic oil can be used for cooking pasta sauce, risottos, stews, fried eggs etc…...
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.