Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Bermuda Fish Chowder
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 153)
Preparation time: 60 minutes; Cook time: 45-60 minutes
Source: Vito De Carolis
Involved recipe worth the trouble.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 3 pounds Small sea bass
- 2 pounds Red snapper fillets
- 1 teaspoon Coarse sea salt *
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Dry thyme *
- 1/2 teaspoon Cloves, grounded *
- 1 Bay leaf *
- 1/4 cup Unsalted butter
- 2 Medium onions, chopped
- 6 Ribs celery, chopped
- 1 Green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 28 ounce can tomatoes
- 1 cup Tomato sauce pulped *
- 2 tablespoons Chopped parsley
- 3/4 Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Curry powder *
- Lemon wedges to taste
- Dark rum to taste
- "Sherry" wine to taste
- Remove heads and tail of sea bass; discard tails.
- Place heads, fish bodies and red snapper fillets in a large kettle.
- Add water to cover, salt, thyme, cloves, and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Strain, reserving stock.
- Discard heads, remove skin and bone from fish and flake the fish.
- Put aside.
- In a large kettle, melt the butter, add onions, celery and bell pepper; cook until tender.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce pulped, Tabasco sauce and curry.
- Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add reserved fish stock and flaked fish.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve in heated soup bowls, adding a squeeze of lemon juice, two dashes of "rum" and "sherry" and additional Tabasco sauce to each serving.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.