Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Tennessee Valley Pate with Fruit and Green Peppercorns
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 207)
Serves 24-48 ; Yields 6 cups
Preparation time: 30 minutes; Cook time: chill 12 hours
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
A Grand Prize winner modified to a regional taste.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 1/2 pound country ham, cubed
- 1 tablespoon Blackberry wine
- 1/2 pound Ground turkey
- 2 Ripe pears or apples
- 2 tablespoons Vidalia onion, minced
- 6 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons Ground black pepper *
- 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon *
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground nutmeg *
- 1 tablespoon Thyme *
- 1 tablespoon Tarragon *
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt *
- 2 1/2 pounds Duck or chicken livers
- 6 tablespoons Unsalted butter (additional)
- 1/4 cup Brandy
- 1/2 pound Softened cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted butter (additional)
- 4 packages Unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup Dry white wine
- 1/4 cup Canned green peppercorns, drained and rinsed
- Slight amount of oil to grease the mold *
- Combine country ham and blackberry wine and set aside.
- Mince onions and combine with turkey.
- Peel, core and chop fruit.
- Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a large skillet and saute turkey, fruit and onions about 8 minutes or until fruit is soft.
- Remove skillet from heat and add to it the ham and blackberry wine.
- Also stir in the pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, thyme, tarragon, Worcestershire sauce and the salt.
- Set aside.
- Trim and clean the chicken livers, removing any veins, membranes, or green areas.
- Chop livers coarsely and saute them in 6 or more tablespoons butter.
- Cook livers until tender and then add them to the meat mixture.
- Allow to cool 15 or 20 minutes.
- Puree cooled mixture in a food processor until it is very smooth.
- Soften gelatin in white wine for 3 minutes.
- Then heat mixture in a sauce pan until it dissolves.
- While gelatin is preparing add brandy, cream cheese, and 4 tablespoons butter to mixture in food processor.
- Blend until smooth, add softened and dissolve gelatin and blend well.
- Remove mixture from food processor and fold in peppercorns.
- Lightly oil a six-cup mold and pour in pate mixture.
- Tap mold soundly to dislodge air bubbles, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 12 hours.
- Unmold by running a sharp knife around the edge of the mold and then briefly dip the mold into the hot water.
- Invert mold on serving dish and tap. Pate should slide out onto serving dish.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.