Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 560)
Preparation time: 30 minutes plus cooling; Cook time: 35 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Chinese restaurant classic that is also easy to make at home. Another great recipe to make with children, just be very carefull with the deep frying!
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 5 Dried black mushrooms
- 1 cup Warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt *
- 2 tablespoons Dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons Minced ginger
4 Green onions
White part only, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 1/2 pound Chicken breast, boned, skinned and cut into tiny strips (about one whole breast)
- 1 1/2 cups Cabbage, shredded
- 4 Green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Ginger, finely minced
- 1/4 cup Peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 12 Egg roll skins
- 1 Egg, beaten
- Peanut oil for deep frying
- Chinese mustard and plum sauce for dipping
Marinade for Chicken:
•1/2 teaspoon Salt
•2 tablespoons Dry sherry
•2 teaspoons Minced ginger
•4 Green onions
White part only, chopped
•2 tablespoons Oyster sauce
•1 teaspoon Cornstarch
•1/2 pound Chicken breast, boned, skinned and cut into tiny strips (about one whole breast)
•1 1/2 cups Cabbage, shredded
•4 Green onions, chopped
•1 tablespoon Ginger, finely minced
•1/4 cup Peanut oil
•1 tablespoon Soy sauce
•12 Egg roll skins
•1 Egg, beaten
•Peanut oil for deep frying
•Chinese mustard and plum sauce for dipping
- Soak dried mushrooms in warm water for 15 or 20 minutes.
- Combine marinade ingredients in a small bowl, add strips of chicken and let stand 10 or more minutes.
- Remove soaked mushrooms and squeeze dry and shred.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in the wok and add the shredded mushrooms, bean sprouts, and shredded cabbage.
- Stir-fry for 2 or 3 minutes and add chopped green onion and minced ginger.
- Continue to stir-fry 3 or more minutes and sprinkle the vegetables with soy sauce.
- Remove all the ingredients from the wok.
- Add chicken and marinade and quickly stir-fry it in the hot oil for a couple of minutes.
- When the chicken has lost its pinkness, add the previously stir-fried vegetable mixture.
- Stir another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Remove from wok and place mixture in a strainer to drain and let cool about 30 minutes.
- When filling is cool, squeeze out any remaining moisture.
To fill wrappers:
- Place single wrapper with a corner point facing you.
- Put 2 heaping tablespoons of filling just below the center of the wrapper.
- Fold the bottom corner up over the filling, and seal it with a little egg.
- Then fold over the right and left corners, sealing them.
- Now, tightly roll the wrapper and filling away from you and seal the edge with the beaten egg.
- Cover the egg rolls with plastic wrap to prevent drying out until you are ready to deep fry.
- Pour about 2" of peanut oil in a clean wok and heat to about 350.
- One by one, slide 3 or 4 egg rolls into the hot oil and fry for about 5 minutes or until they are golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from oil, drain on paper towels and repeat until all egg rolls are cooked.
- Serve hot with Chinese mustard and plum sauce.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.