Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Port Braised Cornish Game Hens
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 563)
Preparation time: 40 minutes; Cook time: 65 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Rich, moist and flavorful dish from Scotland.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 3 Cornish Game Hens
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 2 tablespoons Cooking oil *
- 1 cup Port
- 2 cups Dark poultry stock
- The juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Each salt and coarsely ground black pepper *
- 3 tablespoons Cornstarch
- Fresh grapes for garnish
- Cut the backbone from the game birds, and split them in half; lengthwise through the breast. This is most easily done using poultry shears.
- Make a little slit in the skin at the lower side of the breast and tuck in the end of the drumstick for a neat presentation.
- In a large skillet; heat the butter and oil and brown the split birds starting with the skin side down.
- When brown; transfer birds to a large casserole dish.
- Pour off the fat from the skillet and de-glaze the pan with the port.
- Pour liquid over the birds in the casserole dish.
- Add stock, lemon, salt and pepper to casserole dish.
- Cook covered in a pre-heated 375 degree oven, checking for doneness after 20 minutes.
- Birds are done when thighs are tender.
- Remove cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Place cooked birds on a warmed platter and thicken pan juices in casserole dish with cornstarch.
- Pour a spoonful of sauce on each serving and place remainder in a gravy boat.
- Arrange grapes on platter with braised game birds and serve.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.