Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 716)
Preparation time: 14 hours
Source: Vito De Carolis
Make your own.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
10 pounds Fish, thoroughly clean and cut into serving size pieces
Note: You can use all kinds of freshwater fish, like carp, smelt, mullet and trout
- Weak Brine (1 cup coarse sea salt to each gallon water)
- Saturated Brine (4 cups coarse sea salt to each gallon cold water)
- 1 clove Garlic, crushed
- 4 cups Water
8 cups White Wine Vinegar
Claudio Rosso suggested
- 2 Tablespoons Whole White Peppercorn *
- 1/2 pound Onions, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Celery Seed
- 1 Tablespoon Fennel Seed *
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Black Mustard *
1 Tablespoon Sweet Chili Flakes, crushed
- Soak cut fish in the weak brine for 1 hour. Drain
- Soak cut fish in saturated brine for 12 hours in a refrigerator. Note: Soak small fish like smelt for 4 hours.
- Rinse fish in fresh water.
- In large pot, bring to a boil water, vinegar, onions and spices.
- Add fish and simmer for 10 minutes or until fish is easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove fish from liquid and spread in a single layer in a shallow pan. Refrigerate for rapid cooling
- Pack cold fish loosely in clean glass jars.
- Strain the vinegar solution, bring to a boil, and pour into jars to cover the fish.
- Seal immediately. Store in the refrigerator. Use within 6 weeks.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.