Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 754)
Preparation time: 30 minutes; Cook time: 25 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
DO NOT overcook the calamari!
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 2 pounds Cleaned Calamari
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil *
- 1 medium Yellow or White Onion, chopped
- 3 Green Onions, minced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced and mashed
- 2 pounds Fresh Tomatoes, peeled, seeded & juiced
- 1/2 cup Dry White Wine
- 1 Bay Leaf *
- 1 teaspoon Thyme *
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Finely Ground White Pepper *
- Pinch of Nutmeg *
- Salt to Taste, if desired *
- Clean the calamari according to instructions, leaving the whole and slicing the body into 1/4" rounds. Sprinkle with lemon juice and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or saute pan.
- Add the chopped onion and cook over a low heat about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the minced green onion & garlic & continue cooking for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the prepared tomato and cook the mixture for yet another couple of minutes.
- Now add the reserved Calamari and slightly increase the heat. Stir the pan well & frequently to insure even cooking.
- Add wine, bay leaf, thyme, parsley, pepper & nutmeg.
- Cook Calamari Provencale just unitl some of the liquid is evaporated and the squid is tender. It does not require much cooking and should not be overcooked to the point of toughness.
- Serve immediately, garnished perhaps with a sprig of parsley.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.