Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Caponata (Sicilian Sweet-Sour Vegetables)
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 792)
Preparation time: 1hr. plus 20 minutes; Cook time: 35 minutes
Source: This recipe is an adaptation of one in "Cucina del Sole: A Celebration of Southern Italian Cooking" by Nancy Harmon Jenkins (Morrow, 2007)
Delicious dish that can be served as a appetizer, salad or vegetarian side dish.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 2 Eggplants (about 2 lbs), cut into 1/2" cubes
- Lightly salt eggplant to remove bitterness
- 10 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil *
- 1 large Yellow Onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 Anchovy Filet, chopped
- 3 medium Ripe Tomatoes (about 1 lb), cored, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 Ribs Celery, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar *
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste, preferably Maria Grammatico brand
- 2 Tablespoons Golden Raisins
- 2 Tablespoons Pine Nuts
- 2 Tablespoons Capers, rinsed *
- 12 Pitted Green Olives, such as cerignola, coarsely chopped
- 1 Red Bell pepper, roasted, peeled, cored, seeded and thinly sliced *
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper *
- 2 Tablespoons Basil, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Flat-Leaf Parsley, coarsely chopped
- Put eggplant into a colander set over a large bowl; toss with 1 tablespoon salt. Top with a plate weighted down with several large cans; let drain for 1 hour. Rinse eggplant and pat dry with paper towels. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add one-third of the eggplant and cook until golden brown, 7-8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer eggplant to a bowl. Repeat with oil and remaining eggplant.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add remaining oil, onions, and anchovies; cook until soft, 14-15 minutes. Add tomatoes and celery and increase heat to medium; cook until tomatoes release their juices, 5-6 minutes. Add vinegar, sugar and tomato paste; cook until thickened, 3-4 minutes. Add cooked eggplant, raisins, pine nuts, capers, olives, roasted peppers and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until hot. Transfer to a plate; let cool slightly. Top with basil and parsley. Serve at room temperature.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.