Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 278)
Serves 8 to 10
Preparation time: 30 minutes; Cook time: 15 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
This recipe is a long way from the original Italian "pick me up." The pastuerized eggs and light cream cheese makes it a little lighter and the Muscadine wine gives it a distinctly regional southeastern American character.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 1/2 cup Pasteurized eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cup Muscadine wine
- 16 ounces Light cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup Strong coffee, cooled
- 1 Pound cake, cut into finger sized pieces
- Sweetened whipped cream and grated semi-sweet chocolate to top *
- Combine eggs, and sugar in the top of a double boiler and place over boiling water.
- Whisk the mixture briskly for a few seconds, and pour in the Muscadine in a thin stream.
- Continue whisking until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and place in a bowl of ice water to cool.
- Combine the coffee liquor and coffee in a wide bowl.
- Dip each cake finger sideways in the coffee mixture and soak each 1/2 the thickness of the entire length.
- Line a serving bowl or individual serving glasses with the coffee-soaked cake fingers and set aside.
- Place the cooled custard mixutre into the bowl of an electric mixer and whip in the cream cheese a small bit at a time.
- Pour custard into cake-lined serving bowl or glasses.
- Chill in refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, top with sweetened whipped cream and garnish with a little grated chocolate.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.