Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Simmered First, Deep Fried Pork
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 496)
Preparation time: 20 minutes plus cooling; Cook time: 1 1/2 to 2 hours
Source: Vito De Carolis
Also known as twice cooked pork... a staple at many Chinese restaurants.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 1 Rolled pork loin (about 2 pounds)
- 2 Slices of fresh ginger roots
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Fine sea salt *
- 2 cups Water
- 1/4 teaspoon Black peppercorn; freshly ground *
- Sweet and pungent sauce to taste
2 cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Avanti Savoia Cooking/All Purpose Olive Oil suggested
- 1 Egg
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- Wipe pork with a damp cloth.
- Slice ginger root and crush the garlic.
- Boil water.
- Add ginger, garlic, salt, and peppercorn.
- Add pork.
- Bring to a boil again; then simmer, covered, until tender (about 1½ hours).
- Drain pork, reserving liquid for stock.
- Let pork cool, then dry thoroughly and cut in 1-inch cubes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sweet-and-pungent sauce ( see recipe). Heat Extra Virgin Olive Oil about 375 degrees for deep-frying in a wok pan.
- Beat egg.
- Dip pork in egg, then sprinkle with cornstarch.
- Deep-fry until golden (about 2 minutes) and drain on paper towel.
- Serve with the sweet-and-pungent sauce poured over.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.