Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 222)
Serves 4-6 ; Yields One 12" round
Preparation time: 90 minutes; Cook time: 15 to 18 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Easy Italian flat bread made faster using RapidRise yeast.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 2 1/4 cups White flour
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 1 package RapidRise yeast
- 3/8 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil *
- 1/2 cup Very warm water
- 2 teaspoons Salt *
- 2 tablespoons Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Coarse salt *
- 1 Egg white slightly beaten
- cornmeal for dusting stone or baking sheet
- Combine yeast, sugar, and flour.
- Make a well in the center and add olive oil and water.
- Stir to mix a bit and then add the 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Knead and shape into a ball. Place ball into an oiled bowl and cover. Allow to rise 1 hour.
- Thirty minutes before you are ready to bake your foaccia, heat the oven to 400 degrees and heat a baking stone or baking sheet on which to bake the bread.
- To prepare the bread for the oven, turn the dough into a lightly floured surface.
- Knead for a moment and then shape into a large round flat loaf about 1/4" thick.
- Place focaccia on a flat pan or pizza paddle that has been liberally sprinkled with corn meal.
- Poke a few shallow holes into the surface with your fingers and allow the bread to rise 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350 and slide the focaccia onto the heated stone.
- Bake for about 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven, brush with the egg white and then sprinkle the top with the coarse sea salt and rosemary.
- Return to the oven for another 5 or so minutes or until you are sure it is done.
- The time will vary according to the thickness of the dough.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.