Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Argentina Style Roast Beef (Matambre)
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 459)
Preparation time: 1 hours; Cook time: 3 hours
Source: Vito De Carolis
Matambre is a lavish, stuffed roulade of beef. The effort you put into preparing it will richly reward you.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 2 Flank steaks (2 pounds each)
- 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil *
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Fine sea salt *
- 2 tablespoons Fresh bread crumbs
- 3 Bay leaves *
- 1 1/2 cups Beef broth
- 2 Large onions, cut into fine rings
- 2 Plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 Red bell peppers; seeds and ribs removed cut into julienne *
- 2 tablespoons Parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon Red wine vinegar *
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 4 Eggs, hard-boiled; coarsely chopped
- 10 Slices of bacon``
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- Open steaks.
- Place long side of one steak over long side of second steak, overlapping by about 2-inches.
- Pound the joined ends together to seal.
- Brush the steaks with 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil, sprinkle with salt, arrange a layer of bacon, bread crumbs, chopped eggs, parsley, garlic, tomatoes and finish with cheese.
- Carefully roll the steaks with the grain, jelly-roll fashion.
- Add bay leaves outside and tie securely with loops of string.
- Coat the bottom of a large shallow roasting pan with oil, brown in a preheated 475 degree oven for 15 minutes, reduce oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover securely with heavy-duty foil, return to 320 degree oven; bake until beef is tender, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan heat the leftover Extra Virgin Olive Oil over medium heat then add onion and bell pepper.
- Cook until soft, then add vinegar and sugar.
- Mix, then add the beef broth and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the foil, spoon sauce over the meat; bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove meat to a large cutting board and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Removing strings and bay leaves from Matambre slice; arrange on a heated platter, before serving spoon the sauce leftover in the roasting pan over the meat slices.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.