Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Whole Baked Garlic with French Bread
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 749)
Preparation time: 15 minutes; Cook time: 2 hours
Source: Adapted from the "Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook", by Alice Waters, 1982 Random House Inc., New York
Baked or roasted garlic is very common now, but it was very innovative when California restaurants began to feature it on their menus.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 6 whole Heads of Garlic (or 1 head per guest)
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil *
- 1/2 teaspoon Thyme *
- Salt and Pepper, to taste *
- Sprigs of Fresh Thyme for garnish if available
- Sliced French Bread
- Pre-heat oven to 275º.
- Make an incision around the head of garlic to remove the outer skin from the top half of the head, exposing the individual cloves. Arrange the heads in a baking dish that will just hold them.
- Dot with butter, pour olive oil over, and season with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes then remove cover and baste every 15 minutes. Bake an additional 1 to 1 1/2 hours dependng on the size of the heads. The garlic should be very tender and sweet.
- When the garlic is done, serve the whole heads with the oil from the baking dish spooned over them. Garnish with fresh thyme and serve with the french bread. Dip the bread in the oil, squeeze on the garlic and eat warm.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.