Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 256)
Preparation time: 150 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Chef Joseph's DEFINITIVE (in his opinon) Texas Chili. DO NOT even think of adding beans! Beer is the usual drink of choice but for fun, experiment with Beaujolais, Syrah, or Cote du Rhone.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 2 1/2 pounds Ground beef (coarsely cut)
- 2 Medium Green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 Medium white onions, chopped
- 6 Cloves garlic, minced and mashed
- 4 tablespoons Masa (corn flour) or all-pupose flour
- 1 12 ounce bottle of beer
- 1 7 ounce can of green chilies
- 1 28 ounce can of stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Oregano *
- 2 tablespoons Ground cumin *
- 2 tablespoons Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon Each black pepper and salt *
- 2 tablespoons Parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Vinegar *
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 2 1/2 cups Beef stock
- In a large soup pan, brown meat in batches and set aside.
- Add chopped peppers, onions, and garlic to hot grease and cook 4 or 5 minutes.
- Add Masa or flour and cook over a low heat for another 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add beer, canned chilies, and tomatoes, and bring to simmer and stir in browned meat.
- Continue simmering and add rest of ingredients.
- Cook at a low simmer for two hours and stir from time to time.
- Do not let stick or scorch.
- Taste for seasoning and serve with crackers, chopped onions and grated longhorn cheese. If desired, serve pinto beans on the side but NEVER add directly toTexas Chili!
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.