Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Fish Stock (Fumet)
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 119)
Preparation time: 15 minutes; Cook time: 40 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Use to make soups, chowders, bisques, sauces and to poach seafood. Finished Fumet can also be highly reduced for easy freezer storage.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 1 Shallot
- 3 Large purple onions
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Leeks
- 2 Stalks celery
- 8 Parsley stems (8-10)
- 3 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil *
- 1 cup Dry white wine
- 3 1/2 pounds Fresh scrap pieces of fish, or fish bones
- 1 Bay leaf *
- 1 teaspoon Thyme *
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 6 Whole White peppercorns *
- 3 Whole cloves *
- 3 Whole allspice *
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed red pepper *
- 4 quarts Water
- Clean and coarsely chop shallot, purple onions, carrots, leeks and celery.
- Remove parsley leaves from washed parsley stems. Reserve leaves for other purposes because they will darken the stock.
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Stir in vegetables and cook 15 minutes.
- Pour in dry white wine and deglaze the pot.
- Add pieces of fish and fish bones.
- Add the bay leaf, thyme, lemon juice, white peppercorns, cloves, allspice, red pepper and water.
- Bring stock to low simmer and cook 40 minutes. Remove from heat and cool enough for easy handling.
- Filter stock through a cheesecloth-lined sieve.
- Stock can now be further reduced or used as is in a variety of recipes.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.