Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Savoy Cabbage and Italian Sausage (Verze e Luganega)
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 550)
Preparation time: 25 minutes; Cook time: 5 hours
Source: Vito De Carolis
Slow cooked cabbage and sausage dish with polenta.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 3 1/2 pounds Savoy cabbage
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil *
- 1 cup Hot beef broth
- 1 pound Fresh Italian sausages, casings removed and meat crumbled
- 2 cups Dry white wine
- Fine sea salt and black peppercorn; freshly ground to taste *
- 8 cups Water
- 2 teaspoons Coarse sea salt *
- 2 1/2 cups Polenta-stone ground Italian coarse corn meal
- Wash savoy cabbage, quarter it, discarding the outermost leaves if they are damaged, and remove the tough inner core.
- In a large frying pan; heat Extra Virgin Olive Oil over a medium heat and add the cabbage when the oil is hot.
- Sprinkle hot beef broth over it, cover it, and simmer it for an hour.
- Then add the crumbled sausage and dry white wine; season to taste with sea salt and peppercorn, and continue simmering for 3 hours more adding a little more liquid if it comes to dry.
- Meanwhile combine 8 cups water, and salt in heavy larger non-stick saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Gradually whisk in cornmeal in a thin stream.
- Cook Polenta over medium-low heat (it should be barely boiling), whisking constantly, until very thick and pulls away from side of pan, about 40 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and pour it into a shallow large plate or over a wood-board and serve it with steaming hot cabbage-sausage mixture.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.