Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Amish Catsup Sauce
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 695)
Preparation time: 1 Hour and 45 minutes
Source: Vito De Carolis
You know the bottled version; wait untill you try the homemade!
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 6 Celery Ribs, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 medium Onions, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup Water
- 3 pounds Tomatoes, quartered
5 Tablespoons Honey Vinegar
Ramo d'oro suggested
- 1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon Allspice Berries *
- 1/2 Tablespoon Whole Cloves *
- 1/2 Tablespoon Celery Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Grated Nutmeg *
- 1/2 teaspoon Fine Sea Salt *
- Place celery, onions and water in a medium-size saucepan over medium high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are nearly soft, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook tomatoes in a large heavy nonstick saucepan over medium heat, partially covered, until they are very soft and almost a puree, about 25 minutes. Add the cooked celery and onions; continue cooking until the vegetables are completely softened, about 15 minutes.
- Strain tomato mixture in small batches through a sieve into another nonstick saucepan, pressing down firmly to extract all of the liquid. Stir in the vinegar, brown sugar, allspice, cloves, selery seeds, nutmeg and salt.
- Place the pan over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Continue boiling, sitrring often to be sure that the catsup is not sticking to the bottom of the pan, until mixture thickens somewhat, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Allow ketchup to cool, then ladle into jars. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 months.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.