Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 273)
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Cook time: 90 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
A Low Country favorite popular all over the south. Definitely use cast iron as it is traditional and adds a flavor of its own.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil *
- 1 cup Yellow Onion, chopped (1 medium)
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced and mashed
- 1 large can stewed tomatoes (27 oz)
- 1 small can tomato paste
6 cups chicken stock
Feel free to use vegetable or fish stock - anything but water!
- 1 teaspoon Red Peperoncino, hot *
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves *
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice *
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 pounds fresh shrimp, cleaned, peeled and deveined
- 4 cup cooked rice *
- Make a roux in a large cast iron Dutch oven with flour and extra virgin olive oil. Simmer over a low flame until deep golden brown, stirring very frequently so as not to burn or scorch.
- Add chopped onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic to roux. Cook over a low heat stirring often until vegetables are soft.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste and cook about 10 minutes.
- Add stock and seasonings and cook 45 minutes at low simmer.
- Add shrimp and simmer 10-15 minutes until shrimp are cooked but not overdone.
- Serve with rice.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.