Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Shrimp-Stuffed Baked Edam
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 143)
Serves 8 ; Yields 1 whole stuffed Edam
Preparation time: 2 hours minutes; Cook time: 30 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
An island speciality from Curacao. It sounds alot harder to prepare than it really is-make it once and you will make it again.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 1 4 pound ball of Edam cheese
- Large pan of ice water
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil *
- 1 Medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 Medium tomato, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Thyme *
- 1/4 teaspoon Hot pepper sauce (or more) *
- Salt and pepper to taste *
- 12 ounces Raw shrimp, peeled and deveined and chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 1/4 cup Cracker crumbs
- 10 Stuffed olives, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Sweet pickle relish, drained
- 2 tablespoons Raisins
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon Butter, unsalted
- Remove the coating on the cheese and cut a 1-inch slice off the "top".
- Scoop out the interior of the cheese with a spoon leaving about 1/2 -inch sides and bottom.
- Place the shell and the top into the ice cold water.
- Allow to soak in the refrigerator an hour or two to firm the cheese.
- Grate 2 cups of the remaining cheese and reserve.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In yet another heavy skillet, heat the olive oil to medium high.
- Add the onions, reduce heat, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the chopped tomato, thyme, hot pepper sauce and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until liquid thoroughly evaporates.
- Add shrimp, stir around 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Remove cheese from ice water and drain upside down.
- Add crumbs, olives, relish, raisinis, and grated cheese to cooled filling.
- Mix well.
- Stir in beaten egg and spoon stuffing into the cheese shell.
- Top with lid.
- Butter a round baking dish just a little bigger than the stuffed cheese ball and place the cheese in the dish.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until filling is bubbly and top is browned.
- It may be necessary to remove the lid if it begins to become too brown.
- You can return it when the stuffing is done.
- Serve hot right out of the baking dish.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.