Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Chicken in Chambourcin ( Red Wine )
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 351)
Preparation time: 1 hours; Cook time: 2 hours
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
This is a regional variation of the French dish "Coq au vin." Most any dry red wine wine work... the Chambourcin is a French- American hybrid.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- Cut-up 4 pound chicken, or 4 pounds of preferred pieces
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt and pepper *
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive oil *
- 4 ounces Smoked bacon, cut into 1/4
- 2 Large Vidalia onions, coaresly chopped
- 1/2 pound Fresh mushrooms, cut in half
- 2 Large carrots, cut into 1/2" pieces on the bias
- 2 Stalks celery, cut into 1/2" pieces on the bias
- 2 Large very ripe tomatoes, peeled, juiced, seeded, and finely chopped
- 4 Cloves garlic, minced and mashed
- 1 teaspoon Thyme *
- 2 tablespoons Dried dillweed
- 1 teaspoon Tennessee Sunshine or other Hot Sauce
- 1 bottle Tennessee Valley Private Reserve Red Wine, or other brand of Red Wine
- 1 3/4 cups Dark brown poultry stock, or 1 can beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 2 tablespoons Butter, softened
- Salt to taste *
- Chopped parsely for garnish
- Toss the chicken with the flour and salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a deep large pan.
- When the oil is hot, cook the chicken skin side down.
- Turn and cook on all sides until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- In the same pan, saute the bacon over a medium heat until it is cooked but not crisp.
- Remove bacon pieces and drain them on paper towels.
- Save the fat in the hot pan and saute' in separate batches the onions, mushrooms, carrots, and celery.
- As each is cooked remove from pan and place together in a bowl.
- Now add to the pan the tomatoes, garlic, thyme, dill, and hot sauce.
- Cook at moderate heat until liquid evaporates.
- Add to tomato mixture the wine, stock, chicken pieces and vegetables.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover the pan and cook 1/2 hour.
- Prepare a beurre manie by blending together until smooth the flour and butter.
- Remove chicken pieces to a warm serving platter.
- Increase heat to moderate high and thicken by blending in bits of beurre manie as needed.
- Taste for seasoning and serve alongside the platter of chicken pieces, sprinkled with chopped parsley.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.