Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Spicy Bean and Burrito Bake
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 72)
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Cook time: 3 hours
Source: Merry Thomas, M.S. R.D. L.D.
Very nutritious, tasty dish...can be made vegetarian with substitution of water for chicken broth.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 1 cup Pinto beans, washed and sorted
- 3 cups Hot water
- 1/4 cup Chopped onion
- 1/4 cup Chopped green pepper
- 1 Clove of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Ground cumin *
- 3/4 cup Uncooked long-grain white rice *
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried oregano leaves *
- 1 1/2 cup Low-fat chicken broth
- 1 8-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained and cut
- 2 Tablespoons Sliced green onion
- 2 Tablespoons Canned chopped green chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt *
- 6 Whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 cup Shredded hard farmer cheese (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup Seeded chopped tomato
- In a 1 1/2 quart pan, combine pinto beans, water, chopped onion, green pepper, garlic, chili powder, and cumin.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until beans are tender. Additional water may be needed as the beans cook.
- Cook long-grain rice according to the directions on the box, eliminating the salt and the butter.
- Set aside.
- Combine the beans, canned tomatoes, green onions, chilies, and salt.
- Mix well.
- Cook over low heat until heated thoroughly.
- Spoon 1/3 cup bean mixture down the center of each tortilla.
- Top with 1/3 cup rice.
- Roll up, enclosing filling.
- Place seam side down in a 10 inch square casserole.
- Sprinkle with cheese and chopped tomato.
- Microwave on high for 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted, rotating dish once.
- Serve with salsa.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.