Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Beef Burgundy (Boeuf Bourguignon)
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 735)
Preparation time: 3 hours; Cook time: 2 1/2 hours
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Not quite as elaborate as the famous recipe by Julia Child, but still a very good recipe.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 2 pounds Stew Meat, cut into one inch pieces
- 6 strips Bacon, diced
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil *
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- Salt and Pepper *
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 3 cups Red Wine
- 3 10.5 ounce cans Beef Stock
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 teaspoon Thyme *
- 3 Bay Leaves *
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced and mashed
- 1/2 pound Mushrooms, quartered
- 1/4 cup Parsley, finely chopped
- Fry bacon in olive oil in a large stew pot. When it is browned, remove bacon but leave oil and drippings.
- Toss beef cubes with salt and pepper and then brown in the hot oil.
- When meat has browned, add onion and cook just a little. Add the flour and continually stir until it is a light brown.
- Add red wine, stock, tomato paste and the rest of the herbs and seasonings
- Stir well to blend and increase heat to simmer and cook at least two hours until meat is tender.
- Add mushrooms and cooked bacon pieces and cook another fifteen minutes before serving. Serve with rice, potatoes or pasta and a nice crusty bread.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.