Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
All American Apple Pie
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 771)
Preparation time: 40 minutes; Cook time: 1 hours
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 2 cups Sifted Flour
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Shortening
- 4-5 Tablespoons Ice Water
- 8 Apples
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon *
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/4 cup Honey *
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract, or 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Powder *
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cloves *
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
For Pie Crust Dough (makes 1 9" crust):
- Sift and measure flour and combine with butter in food processor fitted with steel blade.
- Blend for a short time until mixture looks like cornmeal.
- Add shortening and blend again until mixture resembles small peas.
- With the food processor running, add ice water a tablesppon at a time until the dough forms a ball.
- Remove dough from food processor bowl and let rest in refrigerator a few minutes.
- Roll out dough with rolling pin and fit it into pie pan. Add filling.
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Make piecrust dough for two crusts and line 9" pie pan with half of the dough.
- Slice apples thinly, with or without peeling, into a large bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup flour, cinnamon, lemon juice, brown sugar, salt, honey, vanilla extract, almond extract and cloves.
- Pour into pie shell and cover with lattice pie crust. Dot with butter and brush with beaten egg.
- Bake in preheated oven approximately 1 hour.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.