Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Braised Beef (Daube de Boeuf a' l' Ancienne)
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 192)
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Cook time: 2 hours
Source: Vito De Carolis
Old style French stew. Meat needs to marinade 12-24 hours, then rest overnight.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 2 pounds Lean beef, cut in 2 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 pounds Carrots, peeled, cut into large pieces
- 1 1/2 750 ml bottles red wine Burgundy or Pinot Noir
- 5 Shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 Large onion, cut lengthwise in half
- 4 Bay leaves *
- 4 Fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 Whole cloves *
- 1 teaspoon Whole black peppercorn *
- 1 1/2 cups Beef broth
- 2 tablespoons All-purpose flour
- 7 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil *
- Fine sea salt and black peppercorn to taste *
- Stick two cloves into half onion.
- Put the beef cubes in a large mixing bowl, add onion, thyme, bay leaves, peppercorn and wine.
- Add the water to cover all and let it rest in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 ours, stirring at least twice.
- Remove meat from the marinade and drain.
- Pat dry with a cloth or paper towels.
- Reserve marinade.
- In a pot, warm up 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over a medium high heat, add the beef and cook for 5 minutes, then remove wit a skimmer.
- Set it aside.
- Add what is left in the pot to the marinade.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in the pot over medium-high heat, add the beef, seasoning with salt and pepper and cook until it begins to brown, then remove the beef with a skimmer and set it aside.
- Strain the marinade through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl, discarding what doesn't go through.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in the pot over medium-high heat, add the shallots and saute' until onion is translucent. Reduce heat to medium-high , add the beef and dust with flour; toss to coat.
- Whisk until flour browns, about 4 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the reserved marinade and the beef broth.
- Add the carrots, cover the pot and simmer on low heat for 2 hours, stirring freqently.
- Then let the "daube" rest in the refrigerator overnight.
- Re-warm the "daube" over medium-low heat before serving wiwth some rice pilaf on the side.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.