Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 137)
Serves 4 to 6
Preparation time: 45 minutes; Cook time: 15 to 20 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Fried Calamari is so delicious when cooked properly and so disapointing when it is not. Here are a few hints to insure success: After cleaning the calamari, throughly dry the pieces before tossing in the seasoned flour and cooking. To properly brown the calamari: heat the oil until it is very hot and cook the calamari in one layer only, repeating the process until it is all cooked. DO NOT OVER COOK!
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 3 pounds Squid
- Olive oil for frying *
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- Salt and white pepper to taste *
- Lemon wedges
- Chopped parsley
- Cut off the tentacles just above the eye.
- Save them.
- Squeeze out the beak, the squids mouth, which looks like a garganzo bean.
- Discard it.
- Holding the blade of a chef's knife almost flat, scrape along the body from the tail to the opening.
- Press down hard to squeeze out the entrails, but be careful not to break the skin.
- Don't worry about removing the skin, which is edible.
- With the point of the knife, stab the transparent quill which portrudes from the body and hold it fast.
- Pull the body away.
- The quill should remain under the knife.
- Discard the quill.
- The squid is now ready for stuffing or If you want to cook smaller pieces, cut rings crosswise 1/3 to 1/2 inch wide.
Clean squid as directed in accompanying directions above.
- Cut the squid into rings into about 1/3" to 1/2" slices, leaving the little cluster of tentacles whole.
- Dry very thoroughly between paper towels.
- Season the calamari with the salt and white pepper and set aside.
- Heat the oil (about one half inch in the pan) to very hot.
- While heating the oil, dredge the calamari in the flour, shake off excess and carefully place it into the hot oil.
- Cook only one loose layer at a time or it will not brown properly.
- Fry to a golden brown turning once, remove with a slotted spoon and place the cooked calamari on a warm plate lined with paper towels.
- Then cook another batch and so on.
- Serve sprinkled with the parsley and lemon wedges.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.