Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Baked Red Snapper Veracruzana(1) Read review
Have you tried this recipe? Submit a review.
(Recipe ID: 299)
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Cook time: 30 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
The key to sucess here is using a really good olive oil and really fresh Red Snapper.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 1 2 pound fillet of red snapper or four 8 ounce portions
- 1/4 cup Chicken stock
- 2 Large limes
- 1 Medium red onion, sliced
- 4 Cloves of garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive oil *
- 1 1/4 pounds Fresh or canned tomatoes
- 8 to 10 Stuffed green olives, sliced
- 2 Jalapeno peppers, sliced (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons Capers *
- 2 Bay leaves *
- 1 teaspoon Ground cumin *
- 1 teaspoon Leaf oregano *
- 1 teaspoon Salt or to taste *
- 1 Large orange and sprigs of fresh cilantro for garnish
1 Medium red onion, sliced
4 Cloves of garlic, sliced
2 tablespoons Olive oil
1 1/4 pounds Fresh or canned tomatoes
8 to 10 Stuffed green olives, sliced
2 Jalapeno peppers, sliced (or to taste)
2 tablespoons Capers
2 Bay leaves
1 teaspoon Ground cumin
1 teaspoon Leaf oregano
1 teaspoon Salt or to taste
1 Large orange and sprigs of fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place snapper in a glass baking dish and add 1/4 cup chicken stock.
- Prick surface of fish thoroughly with a fork.
- Squeeze limes and evenly sprinkle the juice on the fish.
- Set aside at room temperature while making the sauce.
- To prepare the sauce, slice the onion into 1/8" rounds and peel the garlic, slicing it lengthwise.
- In an iron skillet, heat olive oil and saute the onion and garlic until slightly soft.
- Peel and chop fresh tomatoes or drain and chop canned ones.
- Add tomatoes to the iron skillet and continue cooking over a moderate heat.
- Slice olives and jalapenos into thin rounds and add to rest of simmering sauce.
- Add capers, bay leaves, cumin, and oregano to the sauce and cook another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and allow to cool slightly, salt to taste.
- Evenly divide the sauce over fillets.
- Place baking dish un-covered in a preheatd oven for about 10 minutes.
- Remove snapper from oven and arrange on serving dish.
- Garnish with segments of fresh orange and sprigs of cilantro and serve.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.