Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 652)
Preparation time: 2 hours
Source: Vito De Carolis
"Boiled" Cake referes to just one step in the procedure, the batter is still baked in a conventional way.
- 1 cup Butter
- 1 pound raisins
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 cups Whole Fresh Milk
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Grated Nutmeg *
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon *
- 1 teaspoon Homemade British Mixed Spices (see recipe)
- 4 large Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Bread Soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 4 Tablespoons Homemade Candied Peel (see recipe)
- Put butter, raisins, brown sugar, milk and spices in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
- When cool, add beaten eggs, flour, baking powder, bread soda and mixed peel. Stir until all ingredients are well mixed. NOTE: The mixture may seem sloppy, but there is no need for extra flour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and bake in a lined cake pan for 1 1/2 hours.
- Allow to cool before serving.