Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Penne pasta with Meat Sauce ( al ragù)
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 110)
Preparation time: 30 minutes; Cook time: 1 hours
Source: Vito De Carolis
Penne rigate pasta with traditional Italian meat sauce
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 1 pound “Penne rigate pasta” *
- 12 ounces Fresh ground beef
4 ounces Pancetta
3 to 4 slices of 1/4 inch thick American style bacon may be substituted
- 1.1 pounds Roma fresh tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Soffritto Italiano Herb Mix *
- 2 2/3 cups Water
- 2 2/3 cups Dry white wine
- 1 Tablespoon Asì – aceto di Barolo *
- 4 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil *
- Parmesan cheese to taste
- 2 ounces Coarse Salt (for cooking the pasta) *
- 2 pinches Fine sea salt for seasoning the meat sauce *
- Wash and thoroughly clean the “Roma” tomatoes and cut them into ½ inch cubes.
- In a sauce pan add the extra virgin olive oil, warm up and then add the “Soffritto Italiano” . Fry for a few minutes and then add 2/3 cup of water, cook for ten minutes at low temperature. Add the ground beef and the coarsely chopped Pancetta in a sauce pan with the “Soffritto Italiano” and fry at low temperature until the meat is browned,
- To the browned meat add the dry white wine and the “Asì – aceto di Barolo” cook for five minutes at low temperature than add the “Roma” tomatoes and 2 cups of water. Cook the ragù sauce for 30 minutes, covered, at low temperature. Stir occasionally, if the ragù becomes too thick just add water
- After 30 minutes, in a large pot bring 1.5 gallons of water to boil, salt the water (2 ounces of salt for 1.5 gallons of water) add the pasta and bring back to a boil. Lower the heat and cook the pasta until it is “al dente”, 13 to 15 minutes. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- When pasta is cooked, drain it and put it in a large bowl, gently fold the “ragù” sauce into the pasta, add the grated Parmesan cheese, mix and serve.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.