Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 332)
Preparation time: 30 minutes; Cook time: 1 hours
Source: Vito De Carolis
Considered the classic American dessert , this is our version by a classic Italian cook.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 7 cups Granny Smith apples, sliced
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoons All-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Fine sea salt *
- 1/2 tablespoon Ground cinnamon *
- 2 9 inch pie crusts, homemade
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- Peel apples.
- Slice into 1/4 inch slices.
- Measure sugar, flour, salt and cinnamon into a bowl and mix well.
- Toss the dry ingredients into the apples and transfer apple into pastry-lined pan.
- Dot with butter and cover with top crust.
- After the top crust has been sealed to the bottom crust, the edge may be fluted or pressed with tines of a fork.
- Make several slits in top crust with a sharp knife to allow stream to escape.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until juice bubbles through the slits on top of the pie.
Note: For a shiny dark brown crust, brush the top with a mixture of 1 egg yolk and 1 tablespoon cream.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.