Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Stuffed Baked Mushrooms
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 812)
Preparation time: 30 minutes; Cook time: 20 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Pine nuts and Havarti cheese add to the texture and taste. Good recipe for vegetarian main course.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 16 Large Mushrooms(portabellas are perfect)
- 2 Large Shallots or green onions
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil *
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1/3 cup Toasted Pine Nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg *
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 cup Grated Havarti Cheese
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Margarine or Butter, softened
- Salt to tast *
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Wipe mushrooms clean and remove stems. Set caps aside and finely chop stems. Finely chop shallots.
- Heat olive oil over low heat and add shallots. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, and add chopped mushroom stems. Cook 1 more minute. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Mash and mince garlic cloves and combine with toasted pine nuts, nutmeg, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce and beaten egg.
- Grate Havarti cheese and add to stuffing mixture. Stir in cooled sautéed mushrooms and shallots, and blend well.
- Rub mushroom caps inside and out with softened margarine or butter, and place in shallow baking dish.
- Mound stuffing into each mushroom cap, and pack with fingers or the back of a spoon.
- Bake uncovered in 400º oven 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size of mushroom caps. Serve immediatly as hor d'oeuvres, first course or entrée.
Variation: Three-fourths cup cooked ham, shrimp, crabmeat or lobster may be substituted for grated cheese. A little lemon juice complements a seafood stuffing.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.