Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Summer Salad with Rice, Avocado, Mozzarella Cheese and Porcini Mushrooms (Insalta estiva di riso, avocado, mozzarella e funghi)
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 845)
Preparation time: 50 minutes
Source: Doug Slocum
Why wait until summer?
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 6 medium Tomatoes (four for the dressing and two for the salad)
- 6 Tablespoons Cassini - S'ciappau Extra Virgin Olive Oil* *
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped by hand at the last moment
- 1 Tablespoon Sicilian Green Oregano from Ferri Dal 1905* *
- 1/2 teaspoon Powdered Ginger from Ferri Dal 1905* *
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Crushed Whole Pink Peppercorns from Ferri Dal 1905* *
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt with Aromatic Lemon Peel* *
- 30 gr. (1 oz) Nature Reserve Coarse Sea Salt for cooking rice* *
- 450 gr. (1 lb) Arborio Rice from Cascina Belvedere* *
- 280 gr.(10 oz) Porcini Mushrooms preserved in Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Olivieri*
- 3 Ripe Avocados
- 450 gr.(1 lb) Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Mint Leaves, chopped by hand at the last moment
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. Drop the tomatoes into the water, after 10 to 15 seconds remove them with a slotted spoon and plunge them into a bowl of ice water. When they are cold, peel away the tomato skin, cut them into quarters and remove the seeds with a knife or your fingers. Reserve two of the tomatoes for the salad and use the other four in the dressing.
- To prepare the dressing, place in a blender: 4 tomatoes, S'ciappau extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, basil, oregano, ginger, pink pepper and Sea Salt with Lemon Peel. Process until smooth and keep chilled in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Bring 1 gallon of water to a boil, salt the water (1 ounce of salt for 1 gallon of water). As soon as it is boiling, pour in the Integrale rice and cook for 40-45 minutes; and then drain and cool.
- While the rice is cooling, dice the 2 reserved tomatoes into quarter inch pieces and place them into a large bowl.
- Drain the Porcini mushrooms and slice them. Add tomatoes in bowl.
- Peel the avocados and cut into small (quarter inch) pieces and add to bowl.
- Dice the mozzarella cheese into similar cubes and add them to the bowl as well.
- Add the cooled rice and gently stir the salad together. Just before serving, place the salad in 6 serving bowls, pour the sauce evenly divided over each bowl. Sprinkle the chopped mint leaves over the top and enjoy.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.