Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Artichokes alla Romana
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 230)
Serves 6 ; Yields 6 artichokes
Preparation time: 20 to 30 minutes; Cook time: 45 minutes
Source: Vito de Carolis
Translation: "When in Rome eat Artichokes", just kidding.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 6 Large artichokes (or 1 per serving)
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup Parsley, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons Garlic, minced and mashed
- 1 teaspoon Mint leaves, crumbled or chopped
- 1 teaspoon Salt *
- 1 teaspoon White pepper *
- 1 cup Dry white wine
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil *
- Chicken or vegetable stock as needed
- Trim off about half of each artichoke leaf being careful not to break off stem.
- Cut off 1 to 2 inches from the top of each artichoke.
- Use the tip of a knife to remove the interior little leaves and the fuzzy choke beneath them.
- Do not remove any of the heart.
- Rub all cut areas of the artichokes with some of the lemon to prevent discoloration.
- Trim away the outer leaves at the base and also peel the green layer of the skin from the stem, also rub with the lemon.
- Combine parsley, garlic, mint, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Place about 1/2 of this mixture in the hollowed cavity of each artichoke.
- Place the artichokes stem side up in a heavy pan or casserole just big enough to hold all the artichokes.
- Top the stems and bottoms with the remaining parsley mixture.
- Add the wine, oil, and enough stock to cover half of the artichokes.
- Cover the entire top of the chokes with a damp towel and cover the towel with the lid to the pan or casserole.
- Cook over a moderate heat for about 45 minutes or until artichokes are tender.
- When done, remove cover and allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Serve each artichoke with a lilttle of the cooking liquid drizzled on top.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.