Doug Slocum, Owner and Founder
Before Doug met Vito De Carolis, he knew a lot about quality engineering and next to nothing about Italy and gourmet food. Over the years, he has developed a discerning palate for high-quality ingredients from around the world. If you call Avanti Savoia when he’s answering the phone, be sure to ask him about the fascinating stories behind our products and the fanatical, slightly crazy producers who so carefully craft Avanti Savoia treasures.
1. You are stranded on a desert island and can bring five things [unlimited amount of each]... what are they? Butter, eggs, pasta, gin, and vermouth
2. What's your favorite go-to meal to impress guests? For starters, I would make a nice Cesar salad with anchovies. The main course would be grilled pork tenderloin, marinated in soy sauce, with a balsamic reduction. The drink of choice would be a 2002 Pinot Noir. Dessert would be my famous rum cake with black walnuts, dried mango, pomegranates, and raisins. To top it all off, I would serve gorgonzola dolce and a fine ruby port.
3. What's the one, single food item you could never give up? Butter
4. What's your favorite midnight snack? An English muffin with butter and honey
5. Detail your ideal day. Any day when I can cook and my wife cleans up is perfect
Bonus question: Donuts or donut-holes? Donuts