Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Sweet and Sour Egg Plant
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 791)
Preparation time: 75 minutes; Cook time: 45 minutes
Source: Chef David Hughes
Easy to repare and savory recipe provded courtesy of our good friend, Chef David Hughes.
- 2 medium Eggplants, about 12 ounces each, cut into 1 inch dice
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil *
- 1 1/2 cups Tomato Puree
- 2 Tender Celery Ribs, chopped
- 1 cup Chopped Green Olives
- 1/4 cup Capers, rinsed and drained *
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/3 cup Red Wine Vinegar *
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- 2 medium Red Bell Peppers, cut into bite-size pieces
- Layer the eggplant pieces in a colander, sprinkling each layer with salt. Place the colander over a plate and let stand 1 hour.
- In a large saucepan, cook the onion in the olive oil over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato, celery, olives, capers, sugar and vinegar and stir well. Bring to a simmer and cook 15 minutes.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat 1/2 inch of the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add a piece of pepper. If it sizzles rapidly, the oil is hot enough. Carefully add the remaining peppers. Cook until the peppers are tender and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Remove the peppers with a slotted spoon and add them to the tomato sauce.
- Rinse the eggplant pieces and pat them dry with paper towels. Add more oil to the skillet if necessary. Fry the eggplant in batches until tender and browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer the eggplant to paper towels to drain.
- Stir the eggplant into the tomato sauce and simmer 10 minutes. Serve at room temperature.