Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Ragu Bolognese (Meat Sauce)
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 195)
Serves 6 to 8
Preparation time: 30 minutes; Cook time: 60 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Americanized version of the Northern Italian favorite.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil *
- 1 Shallot
- 1 Small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Stalk celery, strings removed and chopped
- 1 Carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 1/3 pounds Lean ground chuck
- 1 1/4 cups Dry white wine
- 1/2 cup Whipping cream
- 2 14 1/2 ounce cans Italian tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Leaf thyme
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced and mashed
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg *
- 1 teaspoon Salt *
- 1 teaspoon White pepper *
- In a heavy pot, saute onion and shallot in olive oil for a minute at medium heat.
- Add celery and carrot and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Break up the gound beef and cook it with the vegetables for a few minutes. Do not brown.
- Add wine, increase heat and stir until the liquid reduces by half.
- Add cream and cook until the cream too reduces by half.
- Pour in canned tomatoes with their juice, still cooking at high heat.
- Stir in remaining seasonings and reduce heat to lowest simmer and cook 1 hour.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.