Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Cuttlefish, Mussels, and Clam Soup
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 475)
Preparation time: 45 minutes; Cook time: 90 minutes
Source: Vito De Carolis
Flavors of Italy with flavors of the sea. If Cuttlefish is not readily available, ask you seafood market to make a special order. Do not overcook.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 4 pounds Cuttlefish, cleaned, scored, and cut into 1/2 inch wide strips
- 2 pounds Clams
- 2 pounds Mussels
- 1 cup Fish stock
- 1 pound Cannellini/Italian kidney beans, boiled
- 8 tablespoons Onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dry white wine
- 5 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided *
- 2 pints Water
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon Parlsey, chopped
- Fine sea salt and black peppercorn; freshly ground to taste *
- 8 Toasted, slices of bread
- In a small saucepan, sauté over a very low heat onion, and 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Process with a blender to obtain an onion purée.
- In a covered pot; steam clams, and mussels in the stock until they open.
- Discard any unopened shells.
- Decant and strain the broth through a filter or cheesecloth and reserve.
- Pick clams and mussels meat from the shells; set aside.
- In a large frying pan sauté cuttlefish strips for 5 minutes with garlic and 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil, add wine and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes more.
- Stir occasionally.
- Remove garlic cloves and set aside.
- In a large saucepan combine water, reserved shellfish broth, and onion purée; cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add cuttlefish strips, and cover with lid and cook 30 minutes more.
- Add beans, clams, and mussels and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Adjust with salt and peppercorn to taste, and sprinkle with parsley.
- Place 1 toasted bread slice in each soup bowl and pour the soup on top of the bread.
- Serve immediately.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.