Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Pork Loin in Pastry (Empanada de Loma)
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 762)
Preparation time: 70 minutes; Cook time: 35 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
This is a recipe that we have prepared over and over. It is really not hard to make, taste great and looks fantastic. Prepare it once and it will be a treasured recipe.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 3 cups Unbleached White Flour (approximately)
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 packages Fleischmanns Rapid Rise Yeast
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil *
- 1 cup Warm Water
- Small amount of Cornmeal
- 1 12-14 ounce Pork Tenderloin
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced and mashed
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Oregano *
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper *
- 2-4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 medium White Onions, chopped
- 2 Red Bell Peppers, chopped
- 3 large Tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 Hard-Boiled Eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 Egg, beaten
For the Dough:
- Mix dry ingredients including yeast together in mixing bowl. Make a hollow well in center.
- Pour olive oil and warm water into the well. Stir together until liquid is mixed with flour and then work the mixture with your hands until it is smooth. If it is too sticky, you may need to add a little more flour.
- Cover the dough with a warm, damp cloth and allow to rise about 30 minutes. While dough is rising, prepare the filling.
For the Filling:
- Scrape the meat with the edge of a knife to remove extra fat and other tissue.
- Slice the loin into 1/4" rounds and place them in a large bowl.
- Mix together the garlic with paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Rub this into the pork pieces with your fingers.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons oil in a heavy sillet and saute the pork pieces just long enough to cook away the pink color. Remove meat from skillet and set aside.
- Add more oil if necessary and saute the onions and peppers together until soft. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until the mixture is a thick paste. Remove from heat.
Assembly and cooking:
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Divide dough into two equal pieces and set one piece aside, covered. Roll the other piece into a 12" round.
- Sprinkle a little cornmeal onto a pizza pan or stone. Place rolled dough onto pan.
- Spread half of the tomato mixture over the dough and top with the pork slices.
- Top pork with the chopped eggs and cover all with the remaining tomato mixture. Leave about 1/2" of the edge of the dough uncovered.
- Roll out remaining dough into a circle just smaller than the bottom piece. Trim if necessary and use dough pieces to decorate.
- Top the Empanada with the second circle of dough. Roll the flap of dough around the bottom over the top and seal.
- Brush Empanada with the beaten egg and decorate the top with the dough scraps if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes and serve hot or cooled.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.