Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Braised Oxtails with Red Chili Beans
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 700)
Preparation time: 4 hours
Source: Vito De Carolis
Discover why generations of gourmets love oxtails.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 1 pound Dried Small Red Chili Beans
- 6 pounds Oxtails, trimmed
- Seasoned Flour for dredging the oxtails
- 6 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil *
- 3 cups Onion, finely chopped
- 3 large Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Gingerroot, peeled and grated
- 2/3 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Homemade Ketchup (See Recipe)
- 3 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
1 cup Moscato Vinegar
Ramo d'Oro suggested
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- Tabasco Sauce, to taste
- Paprika Picante, to taste
4 1/2 cups Pulped Tomato Sauce
- Fine Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Green Peppercorn, to taste *
- Scallion Greens, chopped for garnish
- Soak the beans overnight in enough cold water to cover them by 2 inches. Drain.
- Dredge the oxtails in the flour, shaking off the excess. In a heavy saucepan heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil over medium low heat until it is hot but not smoking and in it brown the oxtails in batches, transferring them with a slotted spoon - as they are browned - to a plate.
- Add to the sauce pot the remaining 2 Tablespoons olive oil, in it cook onion, garlic and the gingerroot over medium low heat, stirring until the onion is softened and stir in brown sugar, homemade ketchup, Dijon mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, Tabasco, paprika and the pulped tomato sauce. Mix well and season with salt and pepper. Simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, add the oxtails and simmer the mixture, covered, stirring occasionally for 2 1/2 hours.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.