Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 569)
Preparation time: 1 hours; Cook time: 10 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
A longtime favorite in children's cooking classes.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 3 cups Unbleached white flour (approximately)
- 1 tablepspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt *
- 1 package Fleischmanns RapidRise yeast
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil *
- 1 cup Warm water
- 8 ounces Tomato sauce *
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil *
- 1 Green onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Leaf thyme *
- 1/2 teaspoon Leaf oregano *
- 1/2 teaspoon Leaf basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Leaf marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
•3 cups Unbleached white flour (approximately)
•1 tablespoon Sugar
•1 teaspoon Salt
•1 package Fleischman's RapidRise yeast
•2 tablespoons Olive oil
•1 cup Warm water
- Mix dry ingredients including yeast together in a mixing bowl.
- Make a hollow well in the center.
- Pour olive oil nd warm water into the well.
- Stir together until liquid is mixed with flour and then work the mixture with your hands until it is smooth.
- If it is too sticky, you may need to add a little more flour.
- Cover the dough with a warm, damp cloth and allow to rise about 30 minutes.
- While dough is rising, prepare the following sauce and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
•8 ounces Tomato sauce
•1 tablespoon Olive oil
•1 Green onion, coarsely chopped
•1 teaspoon Garlic powder
•1/2 teaspoon Leaf thyme
•1/2 teaspoon Leaf oregano
•1/2 teaspoon Leaf basil
•1/2 teaspoon Leaf marjoram
•1/4 teaspoon Sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a blender on high for 1-2 minutes and set aside.
- After dough has risen, divide it in half (you may freeze it or make another pizza).
- Shape it into a ball.
- Place on a lightly floured surface and flatten it with your hands.
- Finish rolling out the dough with a rolling pin until it is about 1/8" thick.
- Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of cornmeal on a pizza pan or cookie sheet and then place dough in the middle of the pan.
- Pinch edge of dough to form a border to keep the sauce from running out.
- Pour sauce onto dough and spread evenly with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Next sprinkle 2 cups mozzerella cheese evenly over the pizza.
- Now top with an assortment of your favorite ingredients: sliced mushrooms, chopped green onion, chopped bell pepper, sliced olives, sliced pepperoni.
- You may finish topping your pizza wth Parmesan cheese and a little oregano.
- Whatever topping you use, be sure to distribute evenly and do not put on too much.
- When you have finished putting on all toppings and cheese, bake in the upper third of the oven for 12 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and the crust is golden brown.
- Before serving, and eating-allow the pizza to cool for at least five minutes.
- Select a ball of dough about 1/8 of the total amount from the previous recipe.
- Roll it out in a 6" to 8" circle.
- Brush it with olive oil or spread about a little tomato sauce or even pesto.
- Fill with about 1/2 cup of favorite pizza toppings
- Fold the calazone over and pinch the edges closed.
- Brush the outside with olive oil and bake at 450 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.