Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Southern Fried Chicken
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 768)
Preparation time: 2 hrs. 15 minutes; Cook time: 20 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Simple recipe for delicious Southern Fried Chicken, Texas style! This recipe was shared with me by Liz Carpenter, former White House Press Secretary to Lady Bird Johnson.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 1 Frying Chicken (3-3 1/2 pounds), cut up
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt *
- 1 teaspoon Pepper *
- 1 quart Vegetable Oil
- Soak cut-up chicken in 1 quart of cold water mixed with 1 Tablespoon salt in a large bowl for 2 hours or longer.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a paper bag.
- Remove chicken from water and pat dry with paper towels. Add chicken to bag of flour, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat well. As chicken is coated, place on a piece of waxed paper.
- Pour enough oil in a large, deep skillet to fill it half full. (Oil must be deep enough to cover chicken) Heat oil until very hot.
- Add chicken skin side down. When underside of chicken begins to brown, turn heat down to medium and partially cover with a lid.
- Turn chicken after about 15 minutes or when completely browned on underside. Continue cooking uncovered, until second side is browned. Drain thoroughly on paper towels before serving. Keep warm in 250º oven while making gravy (see recipe).
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.