Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Penne Rigate with red sauce and Pecorino (con Sugo Rosso e Pecorino)
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 177)
Preparation time: 10 minutes; Cook time: 20 minutes
Source: Vito De Carolis
In this recipe pasta is served with a wonderful red sauce made with fresh basil, tomatoes and Pecorino cheese.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 1 pound Penne Rigate Pasta *
- 1 Large onion, cut lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon Hot chili flakes *
- 1 pound Red tomatoes, pulped *
- 10 Large fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup Fresh Pecorino cheese, grated
- Fine sea salt to taste *
- 1 1/2 gallons Cold water
- 4 tablespoons Coarse sea salt *
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil *
- Warm the extra virgin olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan over low heat; add onion, garlic, and hot chili flakes, cook 5 minutes at medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pulped tomatoes and cook at low heat for 15 minutes, stirrinig occasionally.
- In a large pot, bring 1 1/2 gallons of water to a rolling boil.
- Add the coarse sea salt (4 tablespoons), then add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- Drain well in a colander (reserving 1 cup of the pasta water to adjust the sauce).
- Add pasta and the reserved pasta water to the sauce, combine, cook for 45 seconds then add basil and Pecorino cheese, mix well to combine all ingredients and serve.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.