Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 9)
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Cook time: 30 minutes
Source: Janice Tocher
Lots of flavor without meat or the fat.
- 1 package TVP (eg., Morning Star Meal Starters)
- 1 Cup Boiling water, to cover
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 tsp +/- Cooking/All Purpose Olive Oil *
- 1 medium Green Bell pepper (optional)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
2 - 3 cloves Garlic
The more garlic the better!
- 1/3 cup Balsamic or Wine Vinegar *
2 16- ounce cans diced tomatoes
fire-roasted are the best
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can kidney beans
1 tsp +/- salt
smoked salt gives this great flavor!
- a few dashes your favorite hot sauce
2 Tablespoon Fresh Basil
If you don't have fresh, use 1/2 tsp of dried
- Soak TVP in boiling water, to cover. Add package taco seasoning, 2 tsp chili powder, and salt to taste.
- Let it sit while preparing onion/garlic/etc - until the TVP has soaked up much of the water and flavor from the spices
- Sauté pepper, onion, and garlic in olive oil for 1 minute
- Add wine or Balsamic vinegar and continue cooking until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in tomatoes and *rinsed* beans (don't rinse if using seasoned beans), remaining chili powder and the TVP mixture.
- Season to taste with hot sauce and salt
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or more.
- Add basil right before serving.