Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Wilted Frilly Leaf Endive Salad with Smoked Bacon
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 219)
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Cook time: 15 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Take it from the "Poach Master General" himself this one is great tasting and fun.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 1 Large head frilly endive, torn into pieces, washed and dried
- 1/2 pound Smoked bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup Olive oil *
- 4 Large shallots, minced
- Juice of 4 lemons
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste *
- 2 tablespoons Capers *
- 2 tablespoons Red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Parsley, chopped
- 1 Poached egg per serving
- Fry bacon in olive oil in a large heavy skillet until it is a medium brown.
- Do not overcook.
- Remove bacon pieces from hot oil and reserve until serving.
- Add shallots to hot oil and stir for about a minute.
- Add lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper, capers, and vinegar and heat to sizzling oil.
- Place prepared endive, cooked bacon and parsley in a wooden salad bowl and toss with hot dressing.
- Divide salad and some dressing into individual salad bowls and top each with a poached egg.
- Sprinkle with some freshly grated pepper and serve with French bread and butter.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.