Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 686)
Preparation time: 1 hour and 15 minutes; Cook time: 1 hours
Source: Vito De Carolis
Don Vito's version of "eggplant caviar."
- 2 pounds Eggplant
- 1/2 large Onion, peeled
- 1 clove Garlic, peeled
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil *
1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
Claudio Rosso Red Wine Vinegar suggested
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- Fine Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Black Peppercorn, to taste *
- 1/2 cup Pulped Tomato Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Basil, minced
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. With a small, sharp knife, cut a half-dozen slits in skin of each eggplant to allow steam to escape. Place eggplants on a baking sheet. Bake until very soft (about 1 hour).
- When cool enough to handle, peel eggplants and place pulp in a food processor or blender with onion and garlic. Blend until smooth.
- Add oil, vinegar, and lemon juice and pulse to blend.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in tomato sauce and basil. Serve immediately.
Note: The spread can be made up to 2 days ahead without the basil. Refrigerated, but serve at room temperature; just before serving, mince basil and stir in.