Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Beefsteak Henri IV
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 737)
Preparation time: 30 minutes; Cook time: 20 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
A splendid dish from classic French tradition. Although named for a asasinated French king, this faboulous recipe couldn't possibly have been connected to the crime. After the meat is cut and trimed and the sauce made, the cooking and assembly of the rest of the dish only takes about 20 or 30 minutes.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 6 1" Thick Filets cut from the tenderloin butt (the thick end of the filet)
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil *
- 6 Canapes (white bread shapes sauteed in clarified butter)
- 1/4 cup Dry White Wine
- 1/4 cup Beef Stock or Dark Brown Poultry Stock
- 6 Artichoke Bottoms
- Bearnaise Sauce (Avanti Savoia recipe)
- Trim and clean tenderloin and cut steaks or buy them already cut from a good butcher.
- Prepare Bearnaise sauce and set aside.
- Saute white bread shapes in clarified butter and place on a warm platter.
- Place butter and oil in a large heavy skillet. Heat over fairly high heat until butter foams and then begins to subside.
- Thoroughly dry the steaks on paper towels and then place them in one layer in the skillet.
- To cook medium rare, saute the steaks about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove steaks and set each one on a canape on the warm platter. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour butter and oil out of skillet and add wine and stock. Boil the liquid quickly down to 3 or 4 tablesooons, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan as you go. This is called deglazing the pan.
- To serve: Place a canape and steak on each plate. Spoon a little of the deglazing liquid on each steak and then top with an artichoke filled with the Bearnaise sauce. Serve immediately.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.