Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 296)
Serves 4 to 6
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Cook time: 6 to 8 hours
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
In this recipe there is no stove cooking, but rather the seafood is "cold cooked" by the acid in the dish.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 1 pound Fresh fillet of cod, red snapper or other firm-textured fish
- Juice of 4 limes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons Red wine vinegar *
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive oil *
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 8 Stuffed green olives, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Capers
- 3 Green onions, chopped *
- 1 Medium tomato, peeled, juiced, seeded, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon Oregano *
- 1 teaspoon Parsley
- 1 teaspoon Cilantro (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Salt *
- 2 Cloves garlic
~To select fish, first inquire about freshness, then observe the fish. With whole fish, look for a clean overall appearance, pink gills, bright, clear eyes, and a fresh smell. In fillets, check for a tight, smooth texture, a bright sheen, and a clean smell. Make sure that shrimp have a light pink to coral color (although some perfectly good shrimp are gray) and no ammonia smell. Ask the fish seller to put the fish on ice for carrying home with you. When at home, store your fish iced and use it as soon as possible.
- Cut cod or other fish into bite-sized cubes, removing any small bones.
- Place cubed fish into a glass or ceramic bowl large enough to hold all ingredients.
- Juice the limes and lemon and add to the fish along with the red wine vinegar and olive oil.
- Finely chop the Jalapeno and add to fish, seeds, and all.
- Slice the olives into thin rounds and combine them and the capers with fish mixture.
- Chop green onions; peel, juice, seed and chop tomato; mince and mash garlic and add these to fish.
- Add oregano, parsley, salt, and cilantro, stir well.
- Cover ceviche and chill for 6 to 8 hours.
- Toss to blend once or twice while chilling.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.