Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Deep Fried Sweet Potato Balls
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 206)
Serves 4 to 6
Preparation time: 30 minutes; Cook time: 10 to 15 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
These are a perfect match with turkey or pork dishes, but they also make a terrific starter course when paired with a nice chilled Reisling or Gewurtztraminer. The only difficult part is cutting the sweet potatoes, but they can be cut and kept in lemon water for hours before cooking.
- 2 pounds Sweet potatoes, cut into balls
- Lemon and water
- Olive oil for deep frying *
- Paprika *
Whit Truffle Salt
Sprinkle lightly to taste.
- Peel sweet potatoes and place in a bowl with the juice of 1 lemon and enough cool water to cover the potatoes.
- Take a melon baller and place the cutting side against a potato.
- With your thumb, firmly press the cutter into the potato as far as possible.
- Lift the handle and at the same time, twist the cutter around to cut a smooth little ball.
- Return the balls to the lemon water until you are ready to cook them.
- Heat the olive oil to approximately 325 degress and deep fry the potato balls in batches until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels while frying sage leaves.
- Wash and dry as many big fresh sage leaves as you wish to serve (3 or 4 per serving is about right).
- Add sage leaves to hot oil and fry until crisp but not brown, maybe 20 seconds or so.
- Drain quikly on paper towels, place fried sweet poatato balls on serving plater, garnish with fried sage leaves and sprinkle potatoes and sage with White Truffle Salt.