Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Creamy Black Bean Soup
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 250)
Preparation time: 120 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
Creamy, rich and hearty. Try pairing it with a Shiraz, medium dry Gewurztraminer, or a slightly chilled Beaujolais.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil *
- 1 Medium onion, chopped
- 1 Medium bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Stalks celery, strings removed and chopped
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced and mashed
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup Dry red wine
- 2 cups Chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 15 ounce cans of black beans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ground black pepper *
- Several dashes of Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground all spice *
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground cloves *
- 1 tablespoon Ground cumin *
- 1/2 pint Heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons Dark Rum
- Sour cream and cilantro leaves to garnish
- Heat oil in a large pan and add onions, bell pepper, celery, and garlic.
- Cook over a medium heat five or ten minutes until soft.
- Add lime juice and red wine and cook another 5 minutes and then stir in two cans of the beans and the stock.
- Also add pepper, tabasco, oregano, all spice, cloves, and cumin.
- Bring soup to simmer and cook about fifteen more minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Puree cooled soup in blender, and return to pan and re-heat.
- Stir in remaining can of beans and whipping cream.
- Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly.
- Just before serving, taste for salt and add more if you desire.
- Stir in Rum.
- Serve soup in warmed bowls topped with a little sour cream and a few cilantro leaves.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.