Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Okra Gumbo with Shrimp, Sausage and Ham
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 249)
Preparation time: 45 minutes; Cook time: 90 minutes
Source: Chef Joseph Lowery
The wines most often mentioned in Old New Orelans cookbooks are Clarets (Dry Reds) and Champagne. Also try fruity Rhone Valley wines, Austrailian Shiraz or California Pinot Noirs.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Cooking oil *
- 2 Large yellow onions (about 2 cups), chopped
- 2 Medium bell peppers (about 2 cups), chopped
- 2 Medium stalks of celery, strings removed and chopped
- 3 Green onions, chopped
- 3 Cloves of garlic, minced and mashed
- 2 tablespoons Fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Each of thyme and marjoram *
- 2 Bay leaves *
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 cup Dry red wine
- 1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Bacon fat
- 1 pound Okra, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 pound Smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch quarters
- 1/2 pound Smoked ham, diced
- 2 14.5 ounce cans of chicken stock
- 1 pound Cleaned, raw shrimp, cut into bite sized chunks
- Salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce to taste *
- Chopped green onions and file powder for garnish
- Combine the flour and oil in a large cast iron Dutch oven.
- Cook the roux over a low heat.
- Stirring with a wooden spoon often for about an hour until it is a rich golden brown.
- Although it takes a while to make the roux, it will give you just about the right time to prepare the vegetables and other ingredients, be very careful stirring the roux.
- Stir in all of the chopped vegetables into the roux.
- Turn up heat slightly and stir often.
- Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, basil, thyme, marjoram, bay leaves and sugar.
- Cook and stir occasionally for another ten minutes.
- Add wine, tomatoes, lemon and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook and stir another ten mintues.
- Fry okra in bacon fat for thirty minutes.
- After thrity minutes of cooking (as above) add; sausage, ham, and chicken stock and okra to gumbo.
- Simmer on medium high for thirty minutes or more until mixture is thickened to your liking.
- Add shrimp, about 5 to 10 minutes before serving and serve on some steamed white rice.
- Stir in file' powder a few moments before serving.
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.