Recipes brought to you by Avanti Savoia
Visit us online at www.avantisavoia.com
Three Color (Tricolore) Polenta Torta
Be the first to review this recipe.
(Recipe ID: 537)
Preparation time: 45 minutes plus cooling; Cook time: 2 1/2 hours
Source: Vito De Carolis
Beautiful presentation of polenta with other layered ingredients.
Items indicated with an astrisk (*) available for purchase in the Avanti Savoia store. See below to add these items to your cart.
- 3 cups Canned Italian chopped tomatoes
- 1 pound Fresh spinach, washed and stems removed
- 6 Garlic cloves, finely chopped, divided
- 16 ounces Fresh goat cheese
- 1/2 cup Plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon Dried thyme
Ferri dal 1905-suggested
- 6 Leeks, white part only, sliced crosswise in very thin rings
- 6 tablespon Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided *
- 2 1/2 cups Polenta-stone ground Italian coarse corn meal
- 8 cups Water
- 2 teaspoons Coarse sea salt *
- Fine sea salt and black peppercorn, freshly ground to taste *
- In a frying pan, sauté chopped garlic with 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil until golden.
- Add chopped tomatoes, salt and peppercorn; to taste, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Arrange spinach, while still wet in a large frying pan, and sprinkle fine sea salt to taste.
- Place over moderate heat and cook until spinach is completely wilted.
- Drain all excess water thoroughly, and chop coarsely.
- Then sauté spinach with remaining garlic in 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil. for 2 minutes and set aside.
- Put leek rings and 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a frying pan over a low heat and sauté until golden.
- Set aside.
- In a bowl; combine goat cheese, yogurt with thyme until creamy as a spread.
- Set aside.
- Combine 8 cups of water, and salt in heavy larger non-stick saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Gradually whisk in cornmeal in a thin stream.
- Cook Polenta over a medium-low heat (it should be barely boiling), whisking constantly until very thick and pulls away from side of pan (about 40 minutes).
- In a bowl combine Polenta with a 1 cup of tomato sauce.
- In an other bowl combine spinach with remaining Polenta.
- Spread half the tomato-polenta mixture on the bottom of a lightly-oiled 9-inch spring-form cake pan.
- Spread half of the goat cheese mixture across the polenta; then spread half of the leeks.
- Continue spreading the spinach-polenta mixture, the remaining goat cheese mixture, and the remaining leeks.
- Top with the remaining tomato-polenta mixture.
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for 25 minutes.
- Allow to stand at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Cut in wedges and serve with remaining tomato sauce
The following ingredients are available in the Avanti Savoia online store. Click the product name for more information.